Tikaani

Tikaani
The mascot of Prism*Song

Friday, October 2, 2009

Back Up "Role play and Ableism"

For those that don't know Tikaani is the mascot of the blog, he's my autistic by from the Avatar the Last Airbender setting. He's a fan character of mind and I like to Role Play with him. I am in a forum as a mod for one game when I got this...here is the letter and my responses.

Mainly it is about your character, and some of the things you have put up in your avatar and signature. I have talked to people, and they feel that having a autistic character may disturb kids that may join, plus it seems almost as if you are making fun of them. This concerns me. Others say that your profile is not appropriate for Avatar: The Last Airbender, that it almost seems like it is from an old Indian movie, and that your character is making fun of the water tribe.

Please note that all of these concerns were not brought up by me.


*eyebrow lift* I am assuming this is Tenisho who brought this up. He still is pretty butthurt I see. He use to be on TARP (another Fourm game) he wanted to play with Tikaani and then chicken out.

I have talked to people, and they feel that having a autistic character may disturb kids that may join

How would an autist disturb kids or players rather? If they have questions I can educate them. I am not disturbing at least I don't think so. Fear is the absence of knowledge, hate is it's progeny. If kids have problems with Tikaani I will be more than happy to help with them. I have been having the oppisit problem. A lot of kids adore Tikaani and find him fun to play with, I get some complements from people and I have fan art of him. I had one indivual that didn't know any thing about autism until she played with Tikaani.

As an aspeger autist myself I don't know how I would "disturb" people. I do a lot of actism for disablity rights. http://prismsong.livejournal.com/ Feel free to read some of my essays.

plus it seems almost as if you are making fun of them. This concerns me. Others say that your profile is not appropriate for Avatar: The Last Airbender, that it almost seems like it is from an old Indian movie, and that your character is making fun of the water tribe<

How so? I try not to take my disablity so seriously. I am allowed to poke fun at it once in a while. I don't understand how an EB Yeats poem and my "Mad-autie"(see icon in this post) icon is "making fun". Also I don't understand how is my profile "inappropriate" for Avatar? I've squeezed him into many games. He was part of a murder mystery in the first board he deputed in. I have to say that it's pretty Ableist to assume he won't be "appropriate" for Avatar. I would like to have someone teach him how to read, or maybe be in a drumming competion. There is also the idea of him using his "voice recording" talent too.

How is it I am making fun of the watertribe. If you mean Tikaani's parents? Well if you look up ancient cults around the world, they did that to many disabled children. Children with Down Syndrome, Autism, Cerebral Palsy, birth defects were often killed or left alone to die. The story of the changling is based on those children (Which is the archtype for Tikaani) He was adopted by his aunt I don't see how that making fun of the water tribe. Kinda brings home how adaptive watertribe is.

To conclude,
You need give me more spefic issues. I am not breaking any rules or hurting other players. I don't know what you want from me. Maybe just an explination. I don't know.

Unless you want me to remove Tikaani from the game and allowing ignorance and ableism to floursh, then I will do that. Eventhough I will feel unwanted as an autist myself and feel that it's good way to minoritize issues like cognitively disabled characters in Role Play.

It's a damn shame.

If you would like I am on AIM
SoloBWolf if you like to discuss the issue.

Bard.


I feel kinda heartbroken and angry at this. But she is so young and NT so I don't know what I fault her on. If I have to leave the boards because of I would be very disappointed. 

ETA: the admin wrote this
I actually just wanted an explanation, so I will thank you for that. It was not Tenshio that complained however. But I will say, that I am not actually expressing any of my issues, for I really had none, other than the word bullshit in your avatar. That was my only issue. Your signature was fine except for the "Always up for one on one action on AIM", people may take that the wrong way. I don't care if you say, Always up for talking on AIM, but yeah... 

I have no issues with your profile. If I had, I wouldnt have accepted it, so I will talk to the people that were complaining.

I actually wouldn't mind RPing with Tikaani once I have an older character. Like I said, I really didn't have an issue with the character, it was other people that did.


Apparently I am responsible for people having their heads in the gutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment